Welcome to my blog about my wood burning creations! I'm so glad you're here!
You can also visit my Etsy site here, to see what items are available to purchase, and visit me on Facebook here!

Friday, January 25, 2013

Foodie Friday


It’s Foodie Friday!!

I don’t know about you but it’s been really cold here in Ontario.  We’ve been lucky and haven’t had the same cold temperatures as other parts of Ontario and Canada but it’s still been very cold.  The kind of weather that makes you not want to leave your cozy little home...or warm bed for that matter.

And since we’ve been experiencing these arctic temperatures it only makes sense that we crave comfort food.  The food that warms us up inside and makes us feel so cozy and happy to be in our warm burrows surrounded with our family.

So, I decided for the next few weeks I would share some of my favourite comfort food recipes with you.  The weather is supposed to change drastically again next week, to almost spring like temperatures, but we’ll ignore that, remember it is still winter and enjoy eating these hardy, delicious meals that remind us of when we were kids.

This week I thought I’d start with a fun one.  It’s called….

OVEN FRIED CHICKEN

That’s right, OVEN Fried Chicken.  It’s a healthier take on the traditional fried chicken but it still tastes just as good and has the same crunchy coating like regular fried chicken.


Again, I apologize for not having a bunch of pictures.  I am still trying to remind myself to take pictures of the entire process.  Hopefully, I’ll get better at that but in the meantime you can enjoy the final outcome and grab a napkin to wipe up the drool that I know is forming at the edge of your mouth. 

Here we go, easy and oh so tasty 

Oven Fried Chicken (serves 2)

⅓ cup Fine dry bread crumbs
2 TbspGrated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Seasoned salt
4-6 Chicken parts (skin removed) about 1¼ lbs

Combine first 5 ingredients in plastic bag.  Mix well.

Add 2 pieces of chicken at a time.  Shake to coat.  Arrange in a single layer on broiler pan or greased foil-lined pan.  

Bake 350F oven for about 1 hour until tender.

This can easily be multiplied to serve more than 2 people.

To make it even healthier I sometimes add a little wheat germ with the bread crumbs.  Gives a great crunch and no one is the wiser.  
This time I served the chicken with some steamed veggies (broccoli, asparagus and carrots) and a baked potato that had fun and yummy toppings waiting at the table so everyone could enjoy it the way they like.  It was the perfect comfort food meal to fill our bellies.

Check back next Friday to read about another favourite for a cold winter day.

Do you have a favourite comfort food?  I'd love to hear what it is in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment