I decided to try something different and burn an image into a small paper mache box. It worked really well. Much better than I expected. I thought that since it was paper it would not give me crisp lines and would possibly just turn black. Instead it resisted being burned which gave me the nice clear lines.
The sunflower pattern is from a rubber stamp I've had for years. It turned out really well. When I was done burning I sealed it with a clear gloss finish which makes it look really good.
Now that I know I can burn the paper mache I will try other objects. I saw a couple of note books that I could have a lot of fun with. That will have to wait a little though. I've got a lot of other projects I want to work on first. I'd like to make some Christmas ornaments and other Christmas items before fall and the Christmas season is upon us.