Welcome to my blog about my wood burning creations! I'm so glad you're here!
You can also visit my Etsy site here, to see what items are available to purchase, and visit me on Facebook here!

Friday, March 28, 2014

Foodie Friday!

You will notice that a lot of the recipes I post are for baked foods.  I am more at home baking that I am cooking.  I love food and all the amazing smells coming from the kitchen and my favourite smells are from baking something sweet and yummy.

So today I am going to share my absolute favourite muffin recipe with you.  I make these all the time, but mostly when we have bananas that are getting a little too brown for anyone to eat by themselves.

The following recipe is mine.  I’ve altered one, that I found many years ago, to make it a tad healthier and yet still delicious.  My family has no idea the changes I’ve made and they think it’s just as good as the original recipe.

We prefer to make the muffins in mini size.  They are way more fun to eat and I find them easier to put in the kids’ lunch boxes when they’re small.

Here is my recipe:

    Banana Chip Muffins

    3/4 cup flour
    3/4 whole wheat flour
    1 Tbsp ground flax
    1 Tbsp wheat germ
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1 egg
    1/4 cup apple sauce
    1/4 cup milk
    3 mashed bananas

Measure first 7 ingredients into a large bow.  Mix thoroughly and make a well in the centre.

Beat egg in smaller bowl until frothy.  Mix in apple sauce, milk and bananas.  Pour into well.  Stir only to moisten.  Batter will be lumpy.

Fill greased muffin cups 3/4 full. (I always put more in and overflow the mini muffin tin)

Bake in 400F oven for 20-25 minutes for regular size or 18-20 for mini size.

The only changes left that I would like to make are finding a substitute for the sugar and maybe using carob chips or cacao nibs for the chocolate chips.  It’s fun to experiment and see what works.  

If you have any sugar substitute suggestions I’d love to hear them.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment